I want to preface this post by saying that, I am definitly not a doctor or an expert in any way. I don’t know the exact science of CBD and I know the effects can be so different for just about everyone. I’m just writing this to share a new recipe and share with you guys the little information I do know from research and trying it out myself. A few weeks ago I tried out Blue Ridge Hemp dark chocolate CBD infused coconut oil. My initial thought was to bake with it, but as it turns out, you shouldn’t bake with CBD oil past 350 degrees because it has a higher smoking point and it can cause the CBD to evaporate, therefore ridding itself of the benefits. I was nervous to play around with that, so I tried to think of a plan B which was to drizzle the coconut oil on top of my baked goods as a sweet addition. In the process of using it, here’s what I learned:
1. CBD is one of the many compounds in the cannabis plant. It’s different than THC because it’s not psychoactive. Meaning, it doesn’t change the state of mind of the person using it.
2. CBD produces it’s effects by attaching to certain receptors in the body, more specifically: the CB1 receptors in the brain. Basically, the receptors that deal with movement, pain, emotions, mood, appetite, and more. CB2 affect inflammation and pain. CBD does not attach to these receptors, but rather directs the body to use more of its own naturally produced cannabinoids.
3. Some of the benefits of CBD are: reducing symptoms of substance use disorders such as anxiety, pain, and insomnia. Research has shown the effectiveness it can have on treating epilepsy as well as anxiety disorders like PTSD and general anxiety.
There is still so much more to learn about CBD both for me and science in general. I’m so excited to learn more and continue to heal my body in a more natural way. If y’all have any more info on it, feel free to message me or comment and let me know! I’d love to know what you think about it. In the mean time: enjoy my new recipe and know that the CBD coconut oil is totally optional.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tbs cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup normal coconut oil
- Combine the eggs, applesauce, and melted coconut oil and mix well
- Mix dry indregients separately and then combine to the wet, mix well
- Pour into donut tray and bake at 350 for about 24 minutes
- Let cool, remove from pan, and drizzle dark chocolate coconut oil on top of each one. Before the coconut oil hardens on top, sprinkle coconut shavings, sea salt, and bee pollen for an extra fun topping
- Store in fridge and enjoy!
*note that the CBD oil is totally optional! If you don’t have it or don’t want to use it, no biggie! Now you just have an extra donut recipe 🙂