Truth be told: I’ve never made stuffing before and I don’t think I’ve even eaten it before. Even before I was diagnosed with Crohns, I was a really picky eater. There were some foods I just would not even try. I would take one look at it and judge it before I even tasted it. Well that changed this year. Because I have so many food restrictions, I have to make the best of what I can eat. I have to spice up the world of gluten and dairy free and play with ingredients I may have never tried before. So, in honor of Thanksgiving, I made a gluten free stuffing using some classic veggies and chicken broth. I really loved making this dish, but not as much as I loved eating it lol! The “bread” for my stuffing was made with Simple Mills Artisan Bread mix, which has become such a staple in my house. You can also use your own bread if you have your favorite type on hand. Let me know if you have any questions about the recipe! Happy Thanksgiving prepping 🙂
- 1 box Simple Mills Artisan Bread mix
- 5 stalks of celery
- 4 large carrots
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 tsp parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1-2 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Start by making the bread for the stuffing. Since I used Simple Mills, I made the loaf as instructed on the box and then chopped it into little cubes.
- Place the little cubes onto a baking tray and bake them for about 15 minutes at 350 until they’re crispy.
- While this step is happening, chop up the celery, carrots, and onion and cook on a pan with the parsley, garlic, salt, black pepper, and thyme. Cook these in a little oil until they are nice and soft.
- Once soft, use a new bowl and mix the veggies with the crispy bread cubes, add in the egg and chicken broth. Mix very well until the bread and veggies have been coated in the broth and egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into an a oven safe bowl and bake at 350 for about 25 to 30 minutes. Once ready to serve, broil on low for a few minutes so the top gets crispy. Add a little salt, pepper, and thyme on top and ENJOY!