If I could eat just one food for the rest of my life, it would be fruit. I could eat fruit all day, everyday, and be the happiest person in the room. However, fruit doesn’t always agree with me. After certain fruits, I find myself bloated or uncomfortable, which definitely puts a damper on the whole fruit all day everyday thing… but, I have found that when I cook fruit in some way, it greatly aids my digestion. Cooking the fruit helps break it down which then makes it easier for my stomach to break it down. I don’t know the exact science behind it, but either way, it’s working for me.
So, one of my favorite ways to eat fruit is in jam or jelly form. I’ve been loving making my own because I can control how much sugar goes into it and thick or thin I want it to be. I made this jam to fill my pop tart recipe (here) but it honestly goes great on anything. I love adding it on top of toast or even with a little yogurt. Don’t be afraid to mix up the recipe a little and add in other fruit like blackberries or blueberries. You can also make it a little sweeter if you want it to be. Let me know if you have any questions. Happy cooking 🙂
- 2 cups raspberries (mashed)
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Place the two cups of berries into a small pot and mash them so there are no big pieces left
- Add in the lemon juice and maple syrup and bring to a light boil as you stir
- Add the chia seeds and mix super well as the mixture continues to boil
- Mix for about 10 minutes total!
- Let it cool a little, pour the compote into a jar, and place in the fridge overnight so it thickens
Comment on this post