Took a twist on the basic french toast. I am such a sweet breakfast fan, but lately I’ve been on a savory breakfast kick. I’ve been loving the egg sandwiches, or the omelettes, or even turkey bacon. I wanted to find something new and savory to enjoy so I decided to create a savory french toast. It’s not much different than the sweet kind, but instead of adding maple or cinnamon, you add a salty seasoning like red pepper and garlic and then top it with a lemon tahini drizzle. I made mine a whole big plate loaded with more veggies and healthy fats to keep me fuller longer. Hope you guys love this recipe!
For the Toast
- 2 slices of gluten free toast (I used Coco Bakes sourdough)
- 1 egg
- dash of garlic powder
- dash of red pepper
- dash of salt
For the Sauce
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tbs tahini
- 2-3 tbs water (depends on how thin/thick you want the sauce!)
- Crack the egg into a wide flat bowl and mix in the seasoning. Scramble and mix together the egg so that the seasoning blends well
- Soak the toast on both sides into the mixture. Make sure the egg coats the bread well and all the egg is absorbed
- Spray a pan with a little avocado oil and cook the toast on both sides on a medium heat. I like mine a little crispier, but it’s up to you how long you cook it for. Just check on the side so it doesn’t burn!
- Make the sauce: Add the ingredients together and mix well. If you want the sauce on the runnier side, add a little extra water. I like it to be more like a dip so I only added 2 tbs water which kept it thicker
- Top the french toast and enjoy! I added cherry tomatoes, avocado, everything but the bagel seasoning, and micro-greens. And, of course, all the sauce! You can even add a little hot sauce if you like spicy 🙂
Happy eating! If you’re a Pinterest lover like me, you can pin the recipe so you have it on your favorite board whenever you’re ready for a savory meal.