If you’ve ever tried to make jelly or jam, you know the process isn’t easy! Making your own jam can literally take hours. I finally decided to take on the adventure of making my own using the ingredients I already had in my house. I peeled and chopped a bunch of fruits, even added a veggie, and then sweetened with a little coconut sugar. I can’t say this was the absolute perfect jam I’ve ever seen, but it was so so good! So good that I couldn’t help but write about it and share it with you guys. Fair warning: this did take a few hours! I knew I wasn’t going anywhere that day which is why I set out to make this. I keep my jam in an air tight container in the fridge and it keeps so well! We’re going on week three in the fridge and it’s still perfect. If you give this a go, please let me know what you think!
- 4 kiwis
- 3 cara cara oranges
- 3 large carrots
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup – 1/3 cup coconut sugar (depends on how sweet you want it!)
- Peel and chop the fruits and veggies. Make sure all the peels have been removed, including the white pieces in the oranges
- Place them in a large pot, covering all of the pieces with 2 cups water
- Let boil, consistently stir, and then bring to a low-medium heat. Keep the cover on the pot while it simmers. Let this sit for about 2 to 3 hours. Stir every 20 minutes to keep the fruits from clumping together
- About an hour in, add the coconut sugar and stir well
- Use a potato masher to carefully mash the fruits and carrots in together. It should become thicker paste
- You’ll know it’s ready once the water has evaporated out and the mixture spreads like a jam!
It’s a long process, but totally worth it! Hope you guys love it as much as I did.