Sometimes I can spend hours in the kitchen coming out with new recipes for cakes, muffins, and other treats using all the ingredients I have. Sometimes I just want something to look pretty, but involves almost no work or no purchasing of extra ingredients! So on rare occasions, I will use a pre made cake mix to make a recipe. I am gluten, dairy, and soy free, so I have to be careful with what I use. My go to is Simple Mills and I don’t think that will ever change. So you can use their mix here or you can make your own cake recipe/use one from my site! I linked my cake recipe for you to use 🙂 Happy baking
- 1 lemon
- 1 blood orange
- 1 regular orange
- chocolate cake mix/recipe ( I used Simple Mills, but I also have a great recipe for chocolate cake here)
- Make the chocolate cake mix! Whatever recipe you go with, just have it ready!
- Line a brownie tin with parchment paper or foil
- Peel and thinly slice the fruit. Line the bottom of the brownie dish with a layer of fruit. Start with the lemon in the corner, and then carefully fill in the rest of the layer with the regular orange slices, followed by blood orange. This will create the ombre effect!
- Pour the batter on top of the fruit and tap the brownie dish on the counter so all the batter fills in the space evenly between the fruit (filling in any bubbles)
- Bake until the cake is cooked through! Use a toothpick to make sure the center is ready. Poke the stick into the center of the cake, if the toothpick comes out clean, it’s ready!
- Let it cool completely, carefully flip the pan over onto a plate, and remove the paper or foil. Slice and ENJOY